Specify package version in Package Manager (Visual)?

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:51 AM

While doing some Nuget research I stumbled upon the question "Is it possible to specify a version of a package using the Visual Package Manager"? Or should I put it as a request?

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:26 AM

If you want to specify the version of a package you need to use the NuGet console(http://docs.nuget.org/docs/start-here/using-the-package-manager-console).

Syntax looks like this:

Install-Package Moq -Verison 4.0 

Here's the full reference:

We were going to add this functionality in the dialog but we decided against it since it would mean we'd complex ui to handle version collapsing.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM

As I wrote I'm looking a little in depth of the usage of nuget, and this was one of the "...this is why you should learn to use powershell/the package console".

Keep up the good work.

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:59 AM

It might also be a good idea just to keep the UI that simple. If one need to do more advanced stuff they should learn to use the console, as it already has many advantages compared to the ui currently. And the UI might be enough in 80% of all scenarioes.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM
Yep. That's exactly our intent with the dialog. Keep it simple and let it handle the most common cases. The Powershell console can be used for more advanced needs.