Best Practise for Shared Components Used in Multiple Solutions

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Hi all,

What is recommended best practise for internally developed components (i.e. assemblies) that have nuget references, but are themselves referenced in multiple solutions as project references? n.b. these are constantly evolving components so binary references = major friction.

I've got as far as creating a build step to perform a nuget install to ensure all the packages are in the solutions packages folder, but the stumbling block is the hintpath in the components proj file, which is always relative to the solution in which the dependency was added.

I have a feeling my issue speaks to the solution coupled nature of nuget which I know others have raised as an issue, with requests to have a single cross solution folder containing all nuget packages. That would certainly help with my issue.

Thanks for any advice,

Dan

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Just to add, I've been manually hacking the hintpath to contain $(SolutionDir). This does work, but hacking csproj files is not an ideal workflow.

Dan

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:07 PM

ok I see I'm just rehashing this old thread from another axis:

http://nuget.codeplex.com/discussions/233392

Which goes on to explain how maven local repository is a pattern many of us need with nuget to work on larger multi component projects. Can I just add another vote that functionality and better integration into VS.

Anyway the hack above is working if others need similar for the time being.