OData Service Methods

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Some of our requests from our NuGet client can get awfully long because of the OData format. We're planning to add some OData service methods which in a way, act like a "filtered" view of the OData feed as far as our client is concerned when calling these methods. What I mean is our client can call these specific methods and still apply aditional filtering.

Here's the SPEChttp://nuget.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Search%20Service

Feel free to reply if you have any thoughts here.

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM
  • GetPackageVersionsForId is not necessary because this will unlikely never change.

• Can someone explain to me exactly what this sentence mean? Why isn't it necessary?

Coordinator
    Jul 7, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I’ll let Fowler chime in with his thoughts, but the basic idea is that the service methods allow us to change the search algorithm and such things on the server without changing the client footprint.

But the OData query for the versions of a given package is a small simple query that will unlikely ever need to change on the server or client.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I think @dotnetjunky was primarily trying to poke phone at your flaky grammar :)

Coordinator
    Jul 7, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Ah! I just noticed that now. Yes yes. I fixed the grammar. J

Developer
    Jul 11, 2011 at 12:22 AM

We need to make some adjustments to the api since odata service methods can only accept primitive types for parameters.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Ah good point. "IEnumerable<Tuple<string, Version>>" is not going to happen here :)

I suggest we get guidance from OData folks to make sure we end up with something that matches proper practice.