Automated Build Workflow Possible?

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I would like to add nuget into our build process but not sure the required features are there yet.

Scenario
===============

We have multiple builds each which output a package. (Possible)

Some components reference the other components, which in turn reference other components. (Diamond Dependencies)

We would have a build which was configured to run when a referenced package had a new release (Possible)

This build would update all packages for the solution (leveling the version numbers as needed) and check in the new package config. (Possible??)

The conitnous buiild would get triggered by the update, get new packages and off it goes.

I have read http://blog.davidebbo.com/2011/05/thoughts-on-installing-and-updating.html
Is there any workitems open for this?
Are there any work-arounds to calling Update-Package from an automated build?

Thanks
Adam

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM

There is a new 'nuget update' command that may help with some of this. Right now, it's still an experiment feature and is subject to change. It's also a little harder to use than it could be, but it does work. Basic workflow is:

1. run 'nuget update foo.sln' on your solution. This will update the packages.config and the csproj to point to the newer assemblies
  2. run 'nuget install MyProj\packages.config -o packages' to install all the missing packages that are listed in packages.config into the packages folder. If you have multiple projects, you'll need to run that on each.

Note that after doing this, you may be left with some unused packages under the packages folder. One way to avoid this is to wipe out the packages folder before step #2, and then have step #2 bring back only what's needed.

As I said, a little rough, but the pieces are there, and have worked well for some users.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Thanks that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!