Adding Recurse-Project to NuGet

Coordinator
May 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Hi All,

David Fowler wrote a very useful PowerShell command called Recurse-Projecthttps://gist.github.com/984358

It recursively visits every project item in a solution and calls an action you supply on that item. For example, he also wrote a command Format-Document which can format every document in a solution. Both are very useful commands, but I think Recurse-Project is so useful, we should add it to our core PS library so that package authors can assume it's there and use it in their packages.

What do you think?

May 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM
I'm not sure whether it should be part of nuget itself, but that's pretty handy. I'll definitely be using that one.

Anything wrong with them taking a dependency on it as a nuget package and using that instead? My only thought here is that solution factory is super handy but I can take a dependency on it so I know it is there and can use it with my scripts.

The important question for us is really whether this should be a concern of NuGet itself or not. If so, then yes, include it. If not, then nuget package.
May 22, 2011 at 11:05 PM

+1 to adding it

sent from my mobile

On May 22, 2011 5:05 PM, "haacked" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: haacked
>
> Hi All,David Fowler wrote a very useful PowerShell command called Recurse-Project. https://gist.github.com/984358It recursively visits every project item in a solution and calls an action you supply on that item. For example, he also wrote a command Format-Document which can format every document in a solution. Both are very useful commands, but I thinkRecurse-Project is so useful, we should add it to our core PS library so that package authors can assume it's there and use it in their packages.What do you think?
>
>
May 23, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Phil, what do you mean by "core PS library"? If you mean the PS library that Oisin is working on, then yes I agree. Otherwise, I don't think it should be part of NuGet Extension. It may be useful, but I don't think it's a common scenario.

Developer
May 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Agreed, it's a building block. We really need machine level scripts to solve this kind of problem.

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I meant in NuGet itself. But I agree with David, we should look into machine level scripts. Anyone know if we have a bug on that?

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Looks like this issue is closely related: http://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/974

May 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Machine level script is what profile is for. We already have support for that. Should close 974.

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM

How do we add to that via a NuGet package?

May 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM

You have to do it manually. We should take a step back and ask ourselves: Is NuGet package the best vehicle to deliver such kind of functionality?

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Yes. ;)

Well, how else would you add it?

Let me put it this way, Fowler wrote a very useful cmdlet that really only applies to the NuGet PowerShell Console within VisualStudio. It’s not a general purpose PS script.

So the question is, what’s the best way for someone to be able to start using that command? If not NuGet, then what?

Phil

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2011 at 10:50 PM

*bump* If we don't add support for adding machine level packages easily, what worflow would you propose? I think it's going to be more and more common for packages to be released that simply contain tooling such as the auto-format script David and I wrote, MVC Scaffolding, and several others. Do we really expect everyone to start manually editing their profile script? Shouldn't we have a way to easily add more scripts to the "profile"?