Categories for nuget packages

May 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM

In my modest personal opinion I would love to be able to search only packages for Silverlight, ASP.NET, WP7, WPF, etc ... as well as the correct version of the .NET framework when creating the package, if the developer included the correct directory structure, the nuget package should add the correct category and framework, then when searching, the user can filter by those 2 in a dropdown or checkboxes.

May 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

We have an issue logged to search by tag:

May 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I promised I searched before posting. Sorry.

Please delete this one if you feel is appropiate and I'll just vote for item 935. Now, does it make sense to have tags and categories? Tags is pretty open, categories be close and selecteble, you can add as a tag net4 or net40 and there won't be a way to see all .NET4 projects, in the same problem you can add a tag for Silverlight and another for Silverlight4 yet if you search a tag in Silverlight the later won't show. Categories should be from a dropdown, if you want to add one or more categories, you have to use exisiting ones, you cannot make up yours. I can see that if not added, anarchy and millions of tags will be created.

May 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

We’ve thought about Categories but decided it wasn’t the right time. After all, who’s going to maintain that list of categories? At some point, what we really need is a way for community moderation of tags like StackOverflow does so people can suggest tag corrections on the site.

May 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Sounds like a tag correction method like StackOverflow is a better implementation.

Thanks, I'll make the modification on tags to start getting into the code.