Update-Package tab completion not working for package names

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Update-Package command does not auto complete the package name for example: Update-Package log4{tab} does not fill in the rest "log4net"
and if you simply run the Update-Package log4net then you get a message saying "Cannot process command because of one or more missing mandatory parameters: Id."

Developer
Apr 23, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Did you install the NuGetPackageUpdater or are you using the default Update-Package command?

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I was using the Update-Package command

Developer
Apr 23, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Can you give some concrete repro steps?

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM

The steps that I was following was to simply create a new project and then install a log4net package using Install-Package log4{tab} to get the full name.
I then proceeded to invoke Update-Package log4{tab} and nothing showed up.

However now since I've installed the new 1.3 RC release it seems to be working :)

Developer
Apr 24, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Do you have an older version of log4net? In 1.3 we only show updates for packages that have updates available (we didn't do that before). There's only one version of log4net on the feed so you shouldn't see any completion for Update-Package log4{tab} in 1.3 unless you have some local source that has a newer version of log4net.

http://nuget.org/List/Packages/log4net

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:33 PM

So you are saying that if I have 1.3 RC installed and I tried to type in Update-Package log4{tab} that it should not autocomplete for me?
I would think that this would be very frustrating behavior as I would expect the autocomplete behavior to work the same across all of the commands.

Developer
Apr 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM
ilyalozovyy wrote:

So you are saying that if I have 1.3 RC installed and I tried to type in Update-Package log4{tab} that it should not autocomplete for me?
I would think that this would be very frustrating behavior as I would expect the autocomplete behavior to work the same across all of the commands.

You'd expect Install-Package to show completion for what's on the feed. You'd expect Uninstall-Package to show completion for things that are installed, You'd expect Update-Package to show completion for things that can be updated.

If that doesn't make sense, it'd be nice to know what does make sense.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I guess I see where you are coming from. I guess I am thinking of it from a consistency point of view. But your explanation works also :)