Packages directory names without version info

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I see nuget.exe commandline tool install command has an option -ExcludeVersion (= If set, the destination folder will contain only thepackage name, not the version number)

Is there a way, to set this as default in the VS2010 nuget plugin? 

I think directory names would be better without version number, because of source control issues (one would have to remove previous version folder and add new version folder,
each time a package is updated).

With ExcludeVersion, one could rely on the commit modified changes of version control.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Well we could run into interesting issues with doing that.

For example, suppose you install Log4Net 1.2 into two projects of the same solution, but only update one of them to 1.3. Now both projects are pointing to the 1.3 assembly, but one of the projects *thinks* it’s still pointing to 1.2 (it’s packages.config wouldn’t have been updated).

Not sure how bad this is in practice, if at all. We’d need to take a look at these considerations.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM

You could also try the workflow where you don't check in your packages at all.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Edited Mar 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM

@phil:  indeed, this could be a potential issue... one could wonder, if this really occurs inside one solution, I'm inclined to see this as bad practice, but still, the possibility remains.

@david: Not checking in packages is certainly an valid option ... I've read your article and I do like the concept. I'm seriously considering to go this way.