chocolatey and UAC assertion

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:18 AM

I've been working on chocolatey. Think application packages. Think #chocolatey #nuget.

Basically you put your executables in the tools folder (or elsewhere) local to a project, but really you want that to go to a machine level nuget repository because you may want to have access to that executable machine wide. Chocolatey allows for this and kind of opens up an another area for nuget: application packages.  Not having application packages is the one thing that has slowed me down from bringing over some of my apps from gems to nuget - because they are applications and not libs. 

With chocolatey you can install an application nugget like roundhouse / lessmsi / warmup / opensslkey onto the machine and then be able to call it from the command line and powershell.

UAC assertion: I was able to figure out uac assertion in nuget. Not sure how many any other packages are doing this yet. If you need a good example, take a look at chocolatey.

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:22 AM

I am hoping to put together a video soon as well to show the power of what it can do.

For those that have been putting their applications in the tools folders, like NUnit (thanks Charlie!), you can instantly use chocolatey to install and use nunit.

'chocolatey install nunit'

When it is done type

'nunit'

Or pick one of the other executables that come with nunit. :D

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Interesting! So generally, you can run it on any package that contains a tools folder? I tried to run it on a random package that doesn't have tools (just to try!), and it failed with:

chocolatey.bat : You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.At line:1 char:11

Might make sense to detect the situation and give some guidance.

Other thought: should chocolatey uninstall itself from the project after it's installed machine level?

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:43 AM
That would make sense for it to uninstall itself. Adding it to the TODO list. :D
Mar 28, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Hey, you're the one who came up with that crazy self-uninstall trick! It's a matter of using all your tricks at once :)

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:45 AM
Fixing that error would be nice.. :D
Mar 28, 2011 at 6:46 AM
Actually dcazzulino came up with the uninstall trick.
Mar 28, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Oh yes, that's right, my bad!

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM
Updated to 0.8.0.0. Fixed the error and adds some more comments for users.
See if that fixes it for you.
Mar 28, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Yep, that fixed the error!

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM
Now that is insane!

chocolatey install expresso

When it's finished, it's actually installed on your computer (as in add/remove programs).
Mar 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Can chocolatey install IE9? What about install Windows? ;)

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM
chocolatey install ie9

(windows 7 x64 for this test)
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM
it may help to update to the latest chocolatey as well. v0.9