running nuget from a different vsix pacakge

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I have a vsix that is essentially a language service. But rather than installing that package via msi I would like to create a vsix. This is no problem except that I have an msbuild task associated with the language and in order to get a valid path to the .targets file I need to either put it under /ProgramsFiles or have it somewhere in the source tree for the project.

What I would really like to do is make nuget a requirement for my vsix then drive nuget to automatically install a corresponding nuget package when creating a document of my type. When that happens then my msbuild task will be in the /lib folder instead of in the /ProgramsFiles folder and I can find that path.

Am I making sense? I would like to avoid an msi at all costs but still need to have a deterministic path to my msbuild task assemblies. Does this seem possible? How would I drive nuget from a separate package?

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:26 AM

All vsix files go to %localappdata%\microsoft\... So you can just use environment variables to point to where the vsix is installed.

Why wouldn't that work?

El mar 16, 2011 6:24 p.m., "justinc" <notifications@codeplex.com> escribió:

I have a vsix that is essentially a language service. But rather than installing that package via msi I would like to create a vsix. This is no problem except that I have an msbuild task associated with the language and in order to get a valid path to the .targets file I need to either put it under /ProgramsFiles or have it somewhere in the source tree for the project.

What I would really like to do is make nuget a requirement for my vsix then drive nuget to automatically install a corresponding nuget package when creating a document of my type. When that happens then my msbuild task will be in the /lib folder instead of in the /ProgramsFiles folder and I can find that path.

Am I making sense? I would like to avoid an msi at all costs but still need to have a deterministic path to my msbuild task assemblies. Does this seem possible? How would I drive nuget from a separate package?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nuget@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nuget@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Doh! Very good point. That sounds like a good idea.