Package install experience becomes painfully slow

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:38 PM

When using a UNC-based repository (not sure if that's relevant), our NuGet package install/update experience becomes painfully slow (upwards of 20+ mins).  While we do have a number of custom packages  (6 or so), each with between 2-5 dependencies apiece, I don't consider this to be ridiculous for a non-trivial project.  I don't really have any clear "steps to reproduce", but it seems to go something like this:
1) Create a new solution with ~6 projects or so.
2) For each solution (give or take), use NuGet UI to add one package with 2-3 dependencies, with each of those having between 2-5 dependencies.  In our particular case, we ended up at a total of 20 packages for the entire solution.  This step goes just fine.
3) Try to install (fresh or update existing) another package.  This can take anywhere from 5 to 20 mins or more.
Is anyone else experience anything like this?  Any tips or "best practices" from the team that might make this work better?
Forgive the lack of details in this post - I'm not looking to have a troubleshooting thread, just open a discussion on the topic.  I'll be happy to provide more information if needed...

Developer
Feb 24, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Can you try to same operations but not on a share and see if you get the same behavior?

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Not sure I follow - you mean like against the public repository?

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Also, if you're using TFS, see http://nuget.codeplex.com/discussions/246381 for a known issue and a workaround.

Developer
Feb 24, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Use a local folder like c:\packages instead of a share.

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Ah, it was the TFS issue linked above!  Applied that fix  (removing NuGet.TeamFoundationServer.dll) and perf immediately improved.

Thanks, guys...  I'll now continue this discussion on that thread...

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Running the latest version of Nuget internal repository, using a mapped disk from a SAN, we get the same exact behavior.
The repository takes forever to load the packages.

We tried, as a test, to move all the packages on the C:\ drive and it just went back to normal, even with big size packages(>100Mb).
So, it looks like that Nuget doesn't work well if you host your packages over a network drive.