Possible stupid question about including dependencies...

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Hi,

Long story short, i'm wondering how to automate nuget.

I have a solution that currently has a lib folder with all the dependencies for all projects within it, and they are checked in with the project under SVN. When a new version of the solution is checked in to SVN it triggers a new build on our CI box.

Now i would LOVE to be able to stop checking in specific versions of dlls with my projects and just allow nuget to pull them in for me as part of our build steps (Nant), so is there any XML sort of format to describe how to pull in dependencies for a solution/project?

I have looked around your site, and everything you have currently seems to be done via the IDE, and I need it to work outside of the IDE, so I set an xml/whatever format file with all the local and main feed dependencies and run a build script step (i.e get-dependencies) which will update the projects and pull in the dependencies, this way when the CI box attempts to run the build script it will pull in the assemblies/packages automatically...

I am hoping this is just a stupid question and someone can show me exactly how to do this :)

Developer
Feb 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM

The original goal of nuget was to automate the steps you have to do today. This means that you're supposed to keep checking binaries into source control. However we realized that storing binaries in source control can be a bad thing, and we are currently working on a feature that will let you restore packages from packages.config. This command will not modify the projects in any way (just to set some expectations), but it will restore all missing packages at solution level (the "packages" folder). (http://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/165)

If you're in a hurry, people in the community have been trying to build a ruby bundler clone on top of nuget:
http://nuget.org/Packages/Packages/Details/Chewie-0-0-1

Hope this helps

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the quick response, as you say (in the work item) it is very similar to how Maven's POM file handles dependencies, how far off do you think this is as an official part of the project?

Will hold off using it until this functionality is in place...