What's the deal with Nuget.org

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:28 AM
Edited Feb 11, 2011 at 5:28 AM

I want to love NuGet, really I do.

But ... just look at http://nuget.org/Packages/Packages

You notice how there's 3 copies of the same toolkit filling up the whole front page (above the fold) and how the url repeats itself? repeats itself?

What's the deal with that? Why are you displaying multiple versions of the same module as separate entries on there?

Do you realize that when you hit a module's page there's no way to know if you found the newest one or not?
eg: http://nuget.org/Packages/Packages/Details/Altairis-Mail-Toolkit-1-0-0

Are there plans to fix that?

Side question: Once I've installed a package, I can upgrade it ... does the old package get left behind in my "packages" folder?

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 5:29 AM

We’re working to fix it. Thanks!

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:56 AM

To address the last point, it's perfectly valid to keep multiple versions of a package in the feed. It's up to the owner to decide what set of versions make sense to keep around.

Developer
Feb 11, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Things only get left over in your packages folder if there are in use by another project, otherwise it'll be removed.

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:43 AM

Oh, I get I misunderstood the last point, as I expected it to be related to nuget.org like the rest of the mail.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Yeah, I understand the need to keep multiple versions around -- I just want the web UI to have links to the newer/newest version -- currently it looks like the web UI just doesn't have any concept of what a version number means, and is treating each version as a totally separate package (and I know that deep inside it knows better, but that's what it looks like).

But yes, that last point was a bit of a tangent. Sorry :)

I'm essentially happy ... as long as nobody is happy with the status quo on Nuget.org ;)

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 4:09 PM

We are never happy with the status quo. J

Or we wouldn’t have started NuGet in the first place. ;)