Workflow for building a nuget package

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Hi,

I'm just getting started with nuget - having used a number of packages I'd now like to create a few of my own.

My plan is to create a makefile project in my solution and have it run the build of the package. My package isn't trivial in the sense that it will contain a few applications and a few libraries (I was looking at some of the discussions about using a csproj file as input to nuget), and almost certianly some install scripts.

Is this the way others have built package creation into their workflow? Or do people always do it by hand? Or is there a tool which makes the console work from a build?

Many thanks!

Cheers, Gordon.

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:40 PM
Edited Feb 3, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Ah, I'm dumb. While I spent a bunch of time searching the discussion board here, I missed the text at the end of the create-your-own-package documentation page: add nuget as a last thing that you run as part of your build (post-build), and eventually msbuild tasks will show up. Thanks!

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:42 PM

UppercuT has NuGet packaging support and so does Albacore. Also, Drew has created an msbuild task that you can get from the build server or the source.

____
Rob
"Be passionate in all you do"

http://devlicio.us/blogs/rob_reynolds
http://ferventcoder.com
http://twitter.com/ferventcoder

On Feb 3, 2011 9:11 AM, "gwatts" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: gwatts
>
> Hi, I'm just getting started with nuget - having used a number of packages I'd now like to create a few of my own. My plan is to create a makefile project in my solution and have it run the build of the package. My package isn't trivial in the sense that it will contain a few applications and a few libraries (I was looking at some of the discussions about using a csproj file as input to nuget), and almost certianly some install scripts. Is this the way others have built package creation into their workflow? Or do people always do it by hand? Or is there a tool which makes the console work from a build? Many thanks! Cheers, Gordon.
>
>
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM

David Ebbo posted a screencast of a new experimental workflow for creating packages. Please take a look and let us know what you think and provide feedback.

Feb 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Hi,

Keep in mind that I'm brand new to nuget, so I don't really understand its various capabilities and so what options I would want. Looking at that video the approach seems fine, and pretty easy to use. I'd want to know things like

- What happens when I change assembly info?

- Say I have some install scripts? Can I add them w/out the nuspec file being overwritten?

etc. At least, those are the things at the top of my mind right now. Perhaps after I've figured out how to do all of this I'll have other questions.

Cheers,

Gordon.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:43 AM

Follow on to the above post commenting on the workflow in the video - another thing that might be useful is the ability to push to a local file-based feed. Take me for example. I'm building three libraries - a base library, a core, and a full. Each takes a dependence on the previous. Further, there are native libraries that have to be correctly dealt with that provide some of the underlying technology, and there might be an msbiuld task or two involved (not that far yet). In short, getting to a version of the nuget packages that work is going to take me several iterations. Thus, I'd like to have a feed built locally which I can then start up another version of devenv and import that local feed and make sure that it works before pushing out to the main public feed.