using NuGet for commercial Package and license number

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Hello,

I'm using NuGet to extend my application. As the Orchard team does, I'm listing Extension from a custom OData feed.
Some of my extension will be free but some won't. I'm looking for a system where I can purchase extension, generate a license number and validate this licence number.

Is this the goal/responsibility of NuGet ? Is there a plan for this feature ?

Thanks,

PS : I see NuGet use the Apache v2 for the source code license. As I understand, it allows us to use this project to propose paid extension. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:05 AM

This is definitely in scope for the DevStore, and something we have in our roadmap already.

http://blog.wovs.com/2010/10/announcing-devstore.html

/kzu from galaxy tab

On Jan 31, 2011 9:58 PM, "cdurand" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: cdurand
>
> Hello,I'm using NuGet to extend my application. As the Orchard team does, I'm listing Extension from a custom OData feed.
> Some of my extension will be free but some won't. I'm looking for a system where I can purchase extension, generate a license number and validate this licence number.Is this the goal/responsibility of NuGet ? Is there a plan for this feature ?Thanks,PS : I see NuGet use the Apache v2 for the source code license. As I understand, it allows us to use this project to propose paid extension. Let me know if I'm wrong.
>
>
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2011 at 6:10 AM

We don’t have any plans to implement license number validation of that sort. However, you’re free to have a custom OData feed with paid extensions.

Another approach to consider is the Telerik approach. They have GPL licensed packages in the main feed. But you can separately purchase those products and receive a non-GPL license to them as well as support etc. The package in the main OData feed is exactly the same because the paid license is delivered separately to you.

The benefit of this approach is that there are no packages in the feed which are limited. They are fully featured immediately.

Phil