Automatically Update the Version Node in the Nuspec File

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:37 AM
One thing I have heard people ask for with NuGet is a way to automatically update the version file. I manage a conventional build tool known as UppercuT (UC), and it was on my list to have it automatically version the nuspec until such time as the NuGet team decides to do so (if decided, it seems like a separate concern IMHO). UC can help make packaging super simple (like it does everything else).

The part that keeps this from totally being a shameless plug for UC is that it shows how you can use a tool to automatically version your nuspec file. It's also a tutorial to get from zero to a package up on nuget.org. If interested, check it out. If not, that's cool, too. :D

PS. I kind of toyed with whether it was appropriate or not to post here. A couple of others said it was fine, so I am posting it. Let me know if you think this kind of discussion is inappropriate and would be better served on other avenues. I'm still a bit up in the air about the "appropriateness."
____
Feb 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Additionally, it'd be nice if this functionality extended across multiple packages.  The target scenario:

We have a solution with multiple projects split into incremental packages, each building on the other (from just "Core" to "Super Ninja Edition").  When we do a release, all of the packages should be released at the same time, probably with the same version number, and referencing each others' versions.

Right now I'm managing this with an MSBuild target, but perhaps a better solution might be some kind of "pre-packaging" steps we could plug in to to accommodate these sorts of things.