Help with creating web based package manager

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM

For me NuGet offers everything a plugin manager for an application needs

- a standardised way to package and describe plugins

- a way to deploy and advertise plugins (via OData feed)

- easily install and update plugins

So, it makes sense to try and use the NuGet as much as we can. What I would like to achieve is the equivalent of the the ASP.NET Web Pages Administration in Web Matrix.

Since this code is not available, I'm looking for some pointers in creating a web based package manager using NuGet.Core.

At the very minimum it would seem that I need to implement my own ProjectManager and IProjectSystem - is this the case?

After downloading the package using the PackageManager I need to extract "content" to the root of the web app (same as NuGet does currently) but output contents of "lib" to a plugins directory.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM

If you install ASP.NET Web Pages you can look at the System.Web.WebPages.Administration.dll for an implementation of a web-based package manager.

I wrote a blog-post where I showed a proof of concept that can be used to do the same thing. In my blog post, it’s pointing to a feed with only one package. But you get the idea.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Hi Phil,

The code for this assembly is not available and I assume I can't use this assembly as it is?

Yes I read your blog post a few days ago - exciting stuff - just waiting in anticipation of it going on CodePlex? :D

It would be so good to have a standard plugin manager for ASP.NET web sites.