Using NuGet managing custom libraries

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2011 at 6:49 AM

Hi,

I have got a problem with solution architecture and managing package assemblies. So i asked a question on stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4631094/best-practices-of-referencing-custom-library-assemblies-in-a-solution) and the response reffered me here. 

i downloaded NuGet and installed, then i created a dummy library and its nupackage. but i couldn't install on my dummy windows forms project. Because when i write "Add-Package" to package Management console i got error that tells me Add-Package is not recognized.

When i tried installing with UI, nothings happened after i clicked to Install button. No references added to project.

So firstly i want to ask is NuGet suitable for my question? And i̇f it is, How can i use it? Is it possible to created package after tfs build and notify to Team members about update new package?

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Hi,

I solved a part of my problems.

I corrected nuspec file and use install-package command and  taa daa :)

But i still wonder that,

is NuGet suitable for my question? And i̇f it is, How can i use it? Is it possible to created package after tfs build and notify to Team members about update new package?

Developer
Jan 10, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Yes, you can use nuget to manage custom libraries as well as use open source libraries. See documentation on hosting your own feed. You can make the package creation and updating your company feed part of your build process. With nuget though, you are still going to have to check in the binaries that are being used by a particular solution.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Hi,

I have problems about this.

As i sad i created a package and installed to my projects.

After i bound it to source control, there was no assembly file in pending check-in list. I can see, nuget created a directory that name is my custom libraries name in project_name\packages but it wasn't in  check-in queue. So after i checked-in and got from another workspace there was no assemblies and all project references was broken.

Is there any solution for this?

Developer
Jan 10, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Are the solution + projects under source control? Are you using TFS?

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Yes.

Under source control and i am using TFS 2010.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I have the same basic issue.  However, we're still using VSS instead of TFS.  (TFS migration is on the agenda for later this year.)  How do we get installed packages into source control so that when another dev pulls the code down the references aren't broken?