How to deploy NuPack.Server on IIS7 on Windows 2008 Server

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I wasn't able to install NuPack.Server on IIS 7 on a Windows 2008 box - web deployment failed w/ various errors, I tried everything *and* the kitchen sink and couldn't make this work. Is there *anyone* who was able to deploy the server to provide a local repository at his company?

TIA, Stoyan

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Please provide more details about what errors you saw?

Is this a newly setup IIS 7 box? Did you make sure that ASP.NET was installed, as well as support for HTTP Redirection?

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:30 PM
haacked wrote:

Please provide more details about what errors you saw?

Is this a newly setup IIS 7 box? Did you make sure that ASP.NET was installed, as well as support for HTTP Redirection?

(I just put a share (which I don't like) which just works.)

Yes, it's a newly set up IIS 7 box. I installed .NET framework 4, not sure about the support for HTTP redirection, will check & will get back to you tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch for the timely reply.

On a side note, I want to say NuGet is a HUGE thing for .NET development (I already created packages for all of our 3rd party dependencies (app.config transforms are REALLY helpful, e.g. for Spring, log4net, etc.) and all our libraries create packages during build. Java has maven for ages, and while NuGet can't compare to maven it's really a HUGE step.

Cheers,
Stoyan

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Make sure to run the command:

aspnet_regiis -i

From a Visual Studio command prompt that has admin privilegest. Also, try creating a basic MVC 2 site and deploy it and make sure it runs. IIS 7 is locked down pretty tight out of the box so just getting a simple website running first should help you debug most of your issues.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM

And thanks for the good feedback on NuGet, Stoyan! :)

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:47 PM
davidebbo wrote:

And thanks for the good feedback on NuGet, Stoyan! :)

You're welcome :) I *wish* I had time to contribute to this project. I've been dreaming to find some spare time to start working on something like maven for .NET for more than a year now but never found time to sleep, let alone work on an open-source project :( Really glad someone has (or pretends to have) time to do it for me :)

Best wishes, have wonderful holidays.

Cheers,
Stoyan

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:00 AM
Haacked wrote:

Make sure to run the command:

aspnet_regiis -i

From a Visual Studio command prompt that has admin privilegest. Also, try creating a basic MVC 2 site and deploy it and make sure it runs. IIS 7 is locked down pretty tight out of the box so just getting a simple website running first should help you debug most of your issues.

Again, thanks a lot for that. I know no one is really working during the holidays so your help is very much appreciated.

Couple of feature requests for whenever any of you guys find time:

1. How hard it is to create a tool (not sure what kind of addin is that), where when a .nuspec file is added to a project, a package is created automatically on build time (so it's not even required to put a post-build step to create it). Much like the xsd compiler, which triggers on adding an XML schema to a project, only it creates a package on build time, and not immediately.

2. It would be great if certain "environment" variables can be passed to the NuGet tool (preferably VS ones as well), so that in a .nuspec file I can specify, say, $(SomeInputDir) instead of passing the basedir option (e.g. what if I want to create a package which contains outputs from multiple directories w/o a common base dir?).

3. In the lines of 2, I'd like to be able to use a single .nuspec file to create a 32 and 64-bit version of a package (think of libraries with native parts). Ideally I'd like to be able for the addin at point 1 to be able to figure out the # of bits from the build configuration, so if I'm building, say, MyRvLib w/ x86 configuration it packages the 32-bit TIBCO RV components, and if I'm building w/ x64 configuration it packages the 64-bit ones?

(The more I think of how more useful NuGet could be, the greedier I become :)

Cheers,
Stoyan

Coordinator
Dec 29, 2010 at 6:18 AM

Hi Stoyan,

Probably best to start individual discussions for each of those feature requests so they don’t get lost. Then create an issue in our issue tracker once you have an idea of exactly what you want.

Phil