Is NuGet crashing Visual Studio

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I'm finding my Visual Studio Ultimate with SP1 Beta is crashing on exit  :-(

I'm seeing errors in the Application Event log ... as below ... and I've just installed NuGet, so it's looking like the smoking gun

An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Application ID: DefaultDomain

Process ID: 2828

Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.InvalidComObjectException

Message: COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used.

StackTrace:    at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsUIObject.get_Data(Object& pVar)
   at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.Utilities.GetObjectData(IVsUIObject obj)
   at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DataSource.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.CommandBars.CommandBarRootDataSource.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DataSource.Dispose()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.Automation.ControlCustomizer.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.Automation.CommandBarControl.DisposeManagedResources()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.Automation.CommandBarControl.Disconnect(IVsUISimpleDataSource pSource)
   at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DataSource.<DisconnectEventSubscribers>b__6(UInt32 cookie, IVsUIDataSourcePropertyChangeEvents subscriber)
   at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.CookieTable`3.ForEach(CookieTableCallback`2 callback, Boolean skipRemoved)
   at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DataSource.DisconnectEventSubscribers()
   at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DataSource.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.CommandBars.CommandBarRootDataSource.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at Microsoft.Internal.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DataSource.Finalize()

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM

haacked reported seeing this internally, but we were having trouble reproing on other machines.  We need to get to the bottom of it.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:02 AM

We asked the VS team and they have confirmed that this is a known issue of SP1 beta. It will be fixed in SP1 RTM. While we are working on a temporary fix, I suggest you use the dialog to install packages.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Thanks for the response.

It doesn't seem to happen ever time, I "feel" like having closed the Package Manager window, I'm not getting it as often ... sorry for the fluffy level of the "bug report"  :-)

Cheers,

SteveC.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Yes, it only happens when you ever open the Package Manager console.