Currently, the Package Sources dialog doesn't let you edit existing sources. We need to fix that.

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Wanted to start a discussion on this before I opened a bug. Currently, the package sources dialog doesn't let you edit an existing package source. You have to remove it and re-add it.

I'd like the ability to edit it. However, I'm not sure what the UI should be. Anyone have an example of a great rich client UI for editing an ordered list of items.

I have 2 ideas:

1. If it's easily done, inline editing of the existing items. So we'd have a little pencil (edit) icon next to each package source in the list. Clicking on it turns the entry into two text boxes with the current value populated and turns the pencil icon into a disk (save) icon.
  2. If #1 isn't easy, then the easiest solution is to use a Modal (egad!) dialog to allow editing an existing one.
Developer
Dec 10, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Why not re-use the inputs we have for adding the sources? We would a bit of code to figure out what we are doing (Add / Cancel) versus (Update / Cancel) and it isn’t as awesome as a modal dialog, but it should be relatively easy.

Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 3:40 PM
To: Pranav Krishnamoorthy
Subject: Currently, the Package Sources dialog doesn't let you edit existing sources. We need to fix that. [nuget:237952]

Wanted to start a discussion on this before I opened a bug. Currently, the package sources dialog doesn't let you edit an existing package source. You have to remove it and re-add it.

I'd like the ability to edit it. However, I'm not sure what the UI should be. Anyone have an example of a great rich client UI for editing an ordered list of items.

I have 2 ideas:

1. If it's easily done, inline editing of the existing items. So we'd have a little pencil (edit) icon next to each package source in the list. Clicking on it turns the entry into two text boxes with the current value populated and turns the pencil icon into a disk (save) icon.

2. If #1 isn't easy, then the easiest solution is to use a Modal (egad!) dialog to allow editing an existing one.

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM

That's another option. :) As long as it's clear that the user is editing vs adding.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM

That's my concern, it would be hard to make it clean.  e.g.

1. I double click on an existing entry to edit it
  2. I realize that I don't want to edit it, so I clean out the fields.
  3. Now I type a new entry

Is that and Add or an Edit?  As a variant, in step2 I may not delete everything.  e.g. I might just keep the http prefix so I don't have to retype it.  So it's pretty much impossible for the UI to tell whether the user is still doing an Edit, or now wants to do an Add.  Unless you add some new crazy check box to specify the operation, but that's just so ugly, and makes no sense when you have not double clicked an entry.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:12 PM

One option is add an explicit “Edit” button. Clicking on the Edit button will populate the two textboxes with the values of the currently selected source, and at the same time, the Add button changes to “Update/Cancel”?