Running install.ps1 (etc.) from Add Library Package dialog

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Last night I worked with Glenn Block to put together a package for the new WCF Web API his team is working on. That package needs to add references from the GAC (to the ServiceModel dlls). We did it with install.ps1. The problem is that install.ps1 isn't executed when the package is added from the dialog. I know we decided to punt that to vNext, but since that's a pretty core scenario (adding references from the BCL or other system-level frameworks), it's a pretty major pain point. It's not reasonable to expect Glenn to tell everyone they can only install from the console.

Is there anything we can do here in the v1 schedule? I know we're pretty much out of schedule, but I have to ask. :)

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Dec 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Yes, I discussed that with Glenn on IM this morning.  We really need first class support for adding GAC assembly references during install.  This has come up before, and I thought we already had a bug.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM

We do already have a bug for first-class GAC dependency support. Regardless of that, we really should figure out how to run the PS scripts from the dialog. It's not reasonable to continue to expect folks to ask them to only install from console because they are using that feature, for whatever reason. So, I think the bug I created is still useful. :)

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Definitely, they are orthogonal issues that happen to come together here.  I actually thought we had a bug for the dialog as well, since we're known about this issue since day one and discussed it several times.  But maybe it was never filed.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Our internal company packages rely on install.ps1 for a lot of functionality. I did not realize the dialog would not run the scripts. This is really needed.

sent from my mobile

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I thought we had an issue for it, too, davidebbo, but couldn't find it. If we do, I'll clean 'em up.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2010 at 1:52 AM
We knew that *Solution* level packages didn't work from dialog but I didn't know install scripts didn't. Yeah, ideally we should fix for RTM. Luan, is this a costly fix?
Dec 3, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Since we(dell) really needs this, I could get at least one person to help with any implementation and or testing around this feature. Just let me know what you need.

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:33 AM

There are some complications of invoking PS scripts through the dialog.

First, the PS engine is only set up when the console tool window is opened the first time. So either we have to trigger opening the tool window programatically to setup PS host (which is odd), or we have to decouple the engine from the tool window (which requires a bit of work but possible).

Second, we need to show the output of the scripts somewhere. This is again back to the first point, either opening the console window, or showing it inline within the dialog.

There might be other issues that I may have overlooked. When are we supposed to be code complete for RTM? If it's tomorrow, I'm not confident this can be done.

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:44 AM
As a hack until vNext, could we detect when there are PS scripts, and ask the user if they'd rather open the console and run the installation from there (and if they say yet, open the console window)? I know it's awful, but it would at least prevent confusion.
Dec 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM
regarding showing the output.. I would think that the output of the scripts would show up in the Output window.. That is how the rest of visual studio works. Build, Test, Source Control...ect.
Too me it seems like decoupling the PS host from the console window is probably the best long term approach, but it seems like that would be a lot of risk going into the release.

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:33 AM, dotnetjunky <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

There are some complications of invoking PS scripts through the dialog.

First, the PS engine is only set up when the console tool window is opened the first time. So either we have to trigger opening the tool window programatically to setup PS host (which is odd), or we have to decouple the engine from the tool window (which requires a bit of work but possible).

Second, we need to show the output of the scripts somewhere. This is again back to the first point, either opening the console window, or showing it inline within the dialog.

There might be other issues that I may have overlooked. When are we supposed to be code complete for RTM? If it's tomorrow, I'm not confident this can be done.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nuget@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nuget@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com