Solution-level Packages Update

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Edited Dec 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM

This is somewhat related to my previous post here. The same caveat applies; if you can point me to existing features I've overlooked, I would really appreciate it.

The general scenario I am trying to enable is this. I have a company-wide series of libraries I'd like to share across several unrelated teams. In order to make managing these libraries as straightforward as possible, I have been been brainstorming a solution where my TeamCity build publishes them as a NuGet feed, which is doable today. The next step is where I veer into the unimplemented (I think) because I'd like to have two key features available to developers who consume these libraries: if you have NuGet installed and check out an appropriately configured solution from source control the Add Library Package dialog should automatically detect the external library repository (maybe based on a solution-level config file, or meta-data in /packges; the details aren't hugely important) and default to it; second, I should be able to update the packages referenced by all projects in a solution at once.

Hopefully this makes sense. I realize that some of it may be doable today via the shell, but I'd say probably around only 1/3 or fewer of the team members would really be comfortable with making that part of their routine. We could, and probably will, just come up with some quick instructions for setting it up as a custom tool, or something hacky ,like that, but long-term, I think these are the types of features that would probably be useful to others and should be worth considering for a future release.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Once you set up your private feed this entire scenerio is possible.

sent from my mobile

On Dec 2, 2010 4:40 AM, "smhinsey" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: smhinsey
>
> This is somewhat related to my previous post here: http://nuget.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=236260. The same caveat applies; if you can point me to existing features I've overlooked, I would really appreciate it.The general scenario I am trying to enable is this. I have a company-wide series of libraries I'd like to share across several unrelated teams, most of whom work remotely. In order to make managing this library as easy as possible, I have been been brainstorming a solution where my TeamCity build publishes the libraries as a NuGet feed, which is doable today. The next step is where I veer into the unimplemented (I think) because I'd like to have to key features available to developers who consume this library via: if you have NuGet installed, and check out an appropriately configured solution from source control, the Add Library Package dialog should automatically detect this external repository (maybe based on a solution-level config file, or meta-data in /packges; the details aren't hugely important) and default to it; second, I should be able to update the packages referenced by all projects in a solution at once.Hopefully this makes sense and is clear. I realize that some of it may be doable today via PS, but I'd say probably around only 1/3 of the team would really be comfortable with making that part of their routine. We could, and probably will, just come up with some quick instructions for setting it up as a custom tool, or something hacky ,like that, but long-term, I think these are the types of features that would probably be useful to others.
>
>
Dec 2, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Hmmm, I'm not sure you could achieve the first goal currently, since our feed list is only global at this time.  But that has come up as a possible thing to change.