View full package description/details?

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Get-Package (nep) lists all packages.  That's neat, but it only shows a partial description.  I want the full description and, most important, the project's website.

I can't figure out for the life of me how to print out full package details.

Here's `man nep`

NAME    Get-Package    SYNTAX    Get-Package [[-Filter] <String>] [[-Source] <String>] [-Verbose] [-Debug] [-ErrorAction <ActionPreference>] [-WarningAction <ActionPreference>] [-ErrorVariable <String>]     [-WarningVariable <String>] [-OutVariable <String>] [-OutBuffer <Int32>]    Get-Package [[-Filter] <String>] [-Installed] [-Verbose] [-Debug] [-ErrorAction <ActionPreference>] [-WarningAction <ActionPreference>] [-ErrorVariable <String>] [-Warnin    gVariable <String>] [-OutVariable <String>] [-OutBuffer <Int32>]    Get-Package [[-Filter] <String>] [-Updates] [-Source <String>] [-Verbose] [-Debug] [-ErrorAction <ActionPreference>] [-WarningAction <ActionPreference>] [-ErrorVariable <    String>] [-WarningVariable <String>] [-OutVariable <String>] [-OutBuffer <Int32>]

That's gotta be the least useful usage I've ever seen.  It doesn't include any examples and I don't know what any of the arguments mean.

As a sidenote: I'm *guessing* that Get-Package, Install-Package, New-Package, Update-Package, Uninstall-Package are all of the nuget commands?  I had to run `get-alias | grep -i package` to figure that out.  Why isn't there *ONE* NuGet command?  That's how every other package manager in the world seems to work (gem, apt, yum, cpan, pear, ...)

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:01 PM

NOTE: I found the package descriptions in the feed (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=199193) ... I don't see package URLs though?  Where am I supposed to go to find out more about a project?

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 6:32 PM

It's up to each package to provide a <packageUrl> within their nuspec file. It's a relatively recently added property so most packages probably haven't specified it yet.

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM
Edited Nov 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM

The NuGet commands are powershell cmdlets, that's why there isn't just "one" command. However, the PowerShell way of getting help is to do this:

Get-Help NuGet

That lists all the NuGet commands. Or it will in the next iteration of NuGet as we just checked that change in recently. 

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Sorry, I meant <projectUrl> not <packageUrl>

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:17 AM

to see the full package description, type Get-Package | fl

or you can just use the Add Package dialog. It shows the full description of a package on the detail pane on the right.