Download Statistics/Locations

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Hi there,

Atif (ELMAH lead) and I (ELMAH contributor) have been following the release of NuPack with great interest. One thing that we haven't seen any information on is details about download statistics and alternative download locations. NuPack is obviously bringing a LOT of extra exposure to ELMAH, but it is currently doing so in a very silent fashion. We can see no statistics as to how many people are actually downloading ELMAH via NuPack. Even if we could see such statistics, they would still be a separate data source from the analytics that we receive from Google Code.

So my questions are:

1. What are the plans for having download statistics from NuPack?
  2. Will any stats produced be by version/target framework etc?
  3. What are the possibilities of having NuPack go to supplied URLs for the download packages instead of from the NuPack hosting?

Many thanks,

James

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Great questions!  The current feed and upload process are temporary, and will be replaced by a Gallery site similar to the Visual Studio extension gallery.  It will keep track of download counts, and will also support pointing the download to an external URL.  The stats will be per version of a package, but will not include the target framework that users install it into.

We're hoping that this will start coming online in the next few months, though the schedule is not yet final.  There should be an announcement relating to this in the next week or so.

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Will the download count prior to the release of the gallery be incorporated?

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Hmmm, sorry, I don't think much stats is being kept.  @erichexter owns the current server, and I did hear he had some overall package download stats, I'm guessing from the IIS logs.  So conceivably those logs could be queried for a specific package download.  If it's important to you, we can look into it.

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM

It's not important. But it's interesting :)

The best option would probably be to create a simple one-time IIS log analyzing script using logparser that will execute when the gallery is going live.

I could probably create this if I get some sample logs and some info on how you wish to have the output (sql inserts, csv etc).

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Hopefully, all the IIS logs are being kept.  I've emailed Eric to get more details about it.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I am producing some daily stats for Phil. i am just running logparser queries over the logs to produce feed quries and package downloads per day. i can put together another query to show total downloads by package.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Here's a bit of background to the opening post by James. We've been looking at how to slice and dice the next release of ELMAH. In doing so, we want to provide visitors more choice about cherry-picking exactly the bits that interest them. For example, someone wanting to use ELMAH with SQL Server or Oracle doesn't need to pull in any other dependencies incurred due to the project itself supporting alternate stores (like SQLite, PostgreSQL and others). Likewise, if someone is going to use it with .NET Framework 2.0 or above then we don't need to pack in the binaries for .NET Framework 1.x, making the downloadables significantly smaller (Elmah.dll itself stands at ~150 KB while the download we provide with all binaries included weighs in at 4.3 MB, compressed). With download statistics, we were hoping to track (in an oversimplistic yet good enough fashion) which “configurations” of the project are most popular. NuPack, however, is a bit of a game changer in this way.

Gathering statistics may be a bit of an artificial concern because a download does not equate to actual use but then it got us wondering why NuPack needs to host the packages at all? Why doesn't it merely act as a repository with packages (enclosures in the feed) coming off from the original project site? This would create a distributed network that, I imagine, would also scale better for publishers and users alike. NuPack could step in as a package mirror/cache in the event a link becomes temporarily or permanently unavailable. It also has the side effect that the gallery won't be skewing statistics since packages would come off a project-controlled URL. Is this being considered for NuPack or is it already there and I've completely overlooked it?

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Yes, see my first answer above.  The current feed is temporary, and the real gallery will support having the download URL point to wherever you want.  We'll get there, but give us some time, this is still very new! :)

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Here are the stats, I will clean them up but for now check them out.

http://feed.nupack.com/stats/stats.txt

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Just curious, is there a cut off on the low end?  It doesn't show any packages with 75 or less downloads, and surely there are many.

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:12 PM

It does cut off the stats at 75.  It was an arbitrery decision on my point. It looks like I need to update the stats script to include the odata query the current looks for the Feed action.