Rename the 'Online' tab on the Add Package dialog

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:21 AM

The Add Package dialog currently offers three tabs: Online, Installed and Updates. However, a package source can point to any local folder, not only online feeds. Should we rename it to something more accurately reflecting the meaning the package source?

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Also, the current Online has an 'All' node which shows all packages of the current package source. Should we show one node per package source instead? Then the concept of active package source apply only to the console, not the dialog. Will it cause confusion to users?

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2010 at 12:37 AM

What would you propose we change "Online" to? Also, I didn't understand your second point. If we showed one node per package source (which sounds good to me) why would there not be a concept of the active package source? Wouldn't the active one be the node that's currently selected?

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:40 AM
+1 on nodes per source
+1 on active package source
Online -> Available? (you have Installed, Updates, and Available)
Coordinator
Oct 19, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Available sounds good to me. :)

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:25 AM
haacked wrote:

Also, I didn't understand your second point. If we showed one node per package source (which sounds good to me) why would there not be a concept of the active package source? Wouldn't the active one be the node that's currently selected?

What I meant is that when the dialog opens, it doesn't care what the active source setting is. It doesn't read from the VS Settings store to get the active source like it currently does.

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2010 at 2:37 AM

Because it'll look at the currently selected source under the Available tab, right? Makes sense. In that case, do we even need the "default" in the settings at all? After all, in both clients (Console and GUI), you can select which package source you want. We should just default to the last selected one.

Oct 19, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Yeah, I guess we can remove the "default" option from the options dialog, but still keep it under the hood to remember the last selected one.

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Sounds good to me. :)

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:01 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.