Including Nightly/Daily of a project with the public NuPack repo?

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:14 AM

General Question:

How could a project include a "nightly" build with NuPack

I'm sure someone on this project has had this discussion in a little more detail (than I can find in this sites threads). Was wondering what has been discussed or how an open source project could publish it's nightly build to the general public?

I'm sure I could learn a little more and setup my own hosted NuPack server. However I'm wondering about how this might be integrated into a central location? Could it be possible to hook up to the OData api, and pull down recent builds for select projects?

There was some interesting discussion on the following thread regarding versioning and the idea of daily builds was mentioned.

http://nupack.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=226734

It seems the current process of forking/committing changes to fork and sending a pull request is not the most efficient for continuous builds. I think the project has the potential to allow for some very nice standardization regarding this aspect of a build. It would be great to have a common place/pattern to get builds of projects.

Any thoughts?

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 5:24 AM

The current process for getting packages into the repository is temporary. The current feed is merely for testing purposes while NuPack is in a pre-release state. In the end, we will have a way to automatically push a package to the feed.

However, I'm not sure we'd recommend pushing daily builds to the feed. Ideally the feed would contain set releases. I would imagine that daily builds could overwhelm users who wanted to see what pre-release versions of a certain package were available.

Developer
Oct 13, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Sounds like something that should be hosted on it's own feed server.