Should we create a nupack.exe package

Oct 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Rather than force Oss project owners to download the exe to integrate with their builds.. Should we just create a nupack package?  If so what do we call it so it is not totally confusing?  nupack-tools ?

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:24 AM

That sounds like a good idea.  It would be a simple solution level package that just has NuPack.exe under tools.  'nupack-tools' seems reasonable.

More generally, I wonder if NuPack could become useful as a way to get random tools (random arbitrary files, really!), without using any of the per project semantic.  e.g. you're looking for the latest HTML5 spec: there's a NuPack for that! :)

This is not a scenario that I had envisioned for NuPack, but I wonder if it could become useful for that.  Basically, anytime you would normally go to the web to find and download something, that something could potentially be obtained through NuPack.

Here was my grand vision of the day for NuPack to swallow the internet and take over the world :)

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:18 AM
Edited Oct 18, 2010 at 3:59 AM

lately i had been thinking of how to extend NuPack.exe command line.

i came up with the ideas of git and hg (mercurial command line tools).

actually u don't need to create nupack-tools.exe you can just create nupack.

to make it clear let me take an example of git.

lets say u type

git --version or git -help

see the first argument (--version, --help), it start with "--" or "-" or "/" (for windows). if this is the case just parse the whole arguments as a normal command line app.

git cherry-pick 1225AB

git log --pretty=oneline

if the 1st argument doesn't start with "--", "-", or "/" it is a sub command. this allows to register for any arbitary subcommands which basically works like extensions. it also allows to extend the core git.exe (or nupack.exe) without recompiling it.

the above two example might not make much sense. lets see a better example.

git svn clone https://.....

i can create a module called svn, then use svn to access git.

so now you can have nupack-tools as "nupack tools"

the basic idea is the idea of subcommands.

actually i had already sort of started coding out here

you can see the example of sub commands.

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:41 AM

Bil is working on this, you guys should probably sync up so work isn't duplicated.

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:20 AM

We had a long discussion about command line styles and using existing libraries (like NOptions) and landed on something that I have forked. I should have it in place this weekend.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:04 AM

thats great, will have a look at it during the weekend.

something to notice for command line options would be to support both windows and unix style command line options. forward slash ( / ) or dashes ( - -- ).

another thing to watch out would also be path sepeartors. (i dont think this would be a much problem with .net)

linux and mingw/cygwin uses / while windows cmd uses \. this wouldnt be much difficult but it would be good if that support is strongly built in nupack. especially for people who uses git and mingw bash shell. (there are a lot of increasing number of .net users using git nowdays.)