PowerShell Module

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:36 AM
Edited Oct 8, 2010 at 2:37 AM

I'd like to suggest that you ought to make the commands part of a MODULE to make them easier to find ( eg: get-command -module Nupack, right now I just have to look through all the commands).  It's a better way to package commands together than a simple script. 

As a developer PowerShell MVP (and particularly as one who already wrote a WPF host), I'm really excited about how much you've improved on the previous VSIX PowerShell console, and I'd love to pitch in on the console and help deal with some of the bugs/feature requests -- should I just ... fix some things and send you pull requests?

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 2:42 AM
Ideally, post a message to the discussions board about which ones you want to fix. See the contributor guidelines here. http://nupack.codeplex.com/documentation?title=Contributing%20to%20NuPack

If we haven't triaged them yet, letting us know which ones you want to fix gives us a chance to triage them immediately or make sure someone else isn't already fixing it.

If it's obviously a bug, feel free to fix and submit a pull request, with the knowledge you're taking a tiny risk that it could get rejected for some reason (for example, if we're dropping the feature or someone else fixed it already).

But overall, yes! We'd love your help with the console/powershell bugs!!!

Phil

Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 7:37 PM
To: Phil Haack
Subject: PowerShell Module [nupack:230091]

I'd like to suggest that you ought to make the commands part of a MODULE to make them easier to find ( eg: get-command -module Nupack, right now I just have to look through all the commands). It's a better way to package commands together than a simple script.

As a developer PowerShell MVP (and particularly as one who already wrote a WPF host), I'm really excited about how much you've improved on the previous PowerShell console, and I'd love to pitch in on the console and help deal with some of the bugs/feature requests -- should I just ... fix some things and send you pull requests?

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:47 AM

We have indeed done so in the latest default branch (not in the ctp1 release). The module's name is NuPack.VisualStudio.

PM> get-command -module nupack.visualstudio

CommandType Name Definition

----------- ---- ----------

Cmdlet Get-Package Get-Package [-Installed] [-Updates] [-Verbose]...

Cmdlet Get-Project Get-Project [[-Name] <String>] [-Verbose] [-De...

Cmdlet Install-Package Install-Package [-Id] <String> [[-Project] <St...

Cmdlet New-Package New-Package [[-Project] <String>] [[-SpecFile]...

Cmdlet Uninstall-Package Uninstall-Package [-Id] <String> [[-Project] <...

Cmdlet Update-Package Update-Package [-Id] <String> [[-Project] <Str...

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:08 AM
dotnetjunky wrote:

We have indeed done so in the latest default branch (not in the ctp1 release). The module's name is NuPack.VisualStudio.

PM> get-command -module nupack.visualstudio

CommandType Name Definition

----------- ---- ----------

Cmdlet Get-Package Get-Package [-Installed] [-Updates] [-Verbose]...

Cmdlet Get-Project Get-Project [[-Name] <String>] [-Verbose] [-De...

Cmdlet Install-Package Install-Package [-Id] <String> [[-Project] <St...

Cmdlet New-Package New-Package [[-Project] <String>] [[-SpecFile]...

Cmdlet Uninstall-Package Uninstall-Package [-Id] <String> [[-Project] <...

Cmdlet Update-Package Update-Package [-Id] <String> [[-Project] <Str...

Good stuff! Did you get around to creating a manifest for it? ( have a peek at new-modulemanifest ) - this will allow versioning and dependent modules, among other things. Btw, are you guys looking to localize NuPack?

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:04 PM

No we have not added a manifest for it. Good suggestion. We're discussing on localization story at the moment.