Package Manager Console crashes VS

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:00 AM

I was so psyched for this project, I downloaded it and tried it out right away. At first I opened the Package Manager Console, it froze VS and then crashed. I restarted VS again and opened up the PMC once again - this time, no crash, but no prompt or anything. If I click around or try to type something, it crashes VS again.

I can get to the packages through the GUI, right-click References, Add Pacakge -- then adding packages works from there.

I'm running XP which could be why, do I need to download Powershell somewhere?

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM

The console requires PowerShell 2.0 runtime. Windows XP, by default, doesn't have PS 2.0. Have you installed PS 2.0 on your machine?

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Also, run when you want to capture the crash. Run devenv /log and send us the activity.xml so we can diagnose it.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Ok, thanks guys.

I ran the devenv /log to capture the crash before I tried to install PS.  I have the activity.xml file ... I'll post it on a new Issue.

I can confirm that after I installed PowerShell 2.0 - the console worked properly.

Thanks, what a great project!!
Keep up the good work. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Great to hear that. I'll make sure that we put this into the FAQ. And maybe for the next ctp, we'll detect if the machine has powershell 2.0. If not, showing a informational message rather than let the console crash.