Update FAQ: Supported VS Versions

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Hi,

after a first quick look at nupack i was a little bit confused that only vs 2010 is supported. After reading the comments on scotts blog i figured out that the command line version can be used to work with older versions. I think many devs will be confused about that at the beginning. So it would be nice to update the faq telling which / how vs / .net versions are supported.

Cheers,

René

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. The very first question in our FAQ states:

The NuPack Package Manager Console requires that PowerShell 2.0 be installed, thus NuPack requires one of the following operating systems:

• Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Server 2008

NuPack also supports:

• Visual Studio 2010
  • Visual Web Developer 2010

Is there more we should say there that would make it more clear? We only support Visual Studio 2010 and VWD 2010.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Jeff asked in Scotts blog about support for other vs versions.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/10/06/announcing-nupack-asp-net-mvc-3-beta-and-webmatrix-beta-2.aspx#7624336

Scott told him : There is also a command-line option that you can use - that will work with any version of VS

see: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/10/06/announcing-nupack-asp-net-mvc-3-beta-and-webmatrix-beta-2.aspx#7624506

So, now i'm very confused. Will there be a command line tool that can be used with any other version of vs or not? If not, i must agree with jeff that this is an unsatisfactory solution. Many independent or os devs use vs 2008 or other tools. There should be a possibility to access the packetrepository to maintain library references. I can understand that not all features like those in vs addin are possible. But why lock out so many users from this great solution.

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM

We don't have that command line tool yet. I believe it's under development by some of the Nu guys. As Scott pointed out, the APIs we're using to automate VS weren't available before VS2010 so this is not a trivial project.

As this is an OSS project, would be great to get some help on that tool.