Release Branches vs Release Forks

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Hi all,

I just finished reading Mercurial: The Definitive Guide and there's a section in there where they talk about managing release branches. The author's recommendation is to tag the changeset that marks the release and then clone the release. Thus each release has its own repository which you can go edit in the case an older release needs a patch.

What I like about this approach is the main repository doesn't get "cluttered" with all these release branches that we'll make for each release. What I don't like about it is that there's no support for this in CodePlex.com. I mean, we could create forks, but they'd be associated to someone's account and not to the project. And right now, if I make a fork, I can't directly share that fork with you.

Now, I plan to make some feature requests to the CodePlex.com team to enable this workflow, but wanted to get your input on whether we should just stick to the branching model or go with the repository per release model. Thoughts? 

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM

BTW, please vote up this work item: http://codeplex.codeplex.com/workitem/25596 to allow multiple collaborators on a fork.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I think you should create a nupack user on codeplex and make release forks on that account.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Can we name that user Joe Nupack?

Developer
Sep 20, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Lets not decide on this just yet. We need to think about it more.