My 53 second video

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:04 AM

I just made a very short NuPack intro video: http://www.viddler.com/explore/davidebbo/videos/1/?secreturl=79969770

Notes:

• It's a 'secret' URL, so don't share it! :)
  • It currently has no sound.  I considered adding music but that would add copyright issues, etc...  Maybe I'll add some voice.
  • My original video is 1024x768, but Viddler reduced it greatly.  Not sure how to avoid this.  Maybe other sites work better?

Anyway, it's just a start...

Editor
Sep 18, 2010 at 4:07 AM
I'd rather we do it on Vimeo as it supports iPhones and IPads and HTML5. I'd be happy to do it. ;)
>
Coordinator
Sep 18, 2010 at 4:49 AM

My sentiments exactly. I actually just recorded something we can use. I’ll get it encoded and send it around.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:30 AM

What site we host on is the not the main point :)  BTW, I moved mine to YouTube, which is much sharper in HD and is iPhone friendly.

Scott, if you have time to make a short screencast as well, it would be great.  I'm not too attached to mine, but I do think it's important to have one that delivers the punch in little time before the user moves to the longer 3+ minutes screencasts.

My main screencast will likely by around 5 minutes.

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2010 at 5:35 AM

We should probably coordinate these screencasts. There’s no point in all of us making the same screencast multiple times. The one I just recorded landed at 3 minutes. I was intending it to be for the homepage, but maybe we should just use the one you did if it packs enough punch in 53 seconds. J

BTW, I found a site that has tracks by Moby which are free for non-commercial use. I requested one and think it’ll be great for a video that has nobody speaking.

On the other hand, I still think having someone narrate the video is helpful to provide more context. I’ll send mine around once it’s done encoding to get your thoughts.

David, do you have the original video for yours? What’s the YouTube URL?

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:39 AM

The link is in my previous post.  Here.  Looks great on my iPhone 4 :)

Note that it takes a bit of work to get the video this short, because I did some post processing to remove the dead times (cheating!).  Sadly, our perf is pretty poor and I didn't want to show that :)

I'd be happy to share the original Camtasia if someone else wants to do the voiceover.  I know I'm not the best person to do that part!

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I would like to see you zoom in and highlight the focus of the screen, to draw attention to the console and references. You can do that im camtasia.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Agreed, we could use some selective zooming love.  But it has to be done sparingly, or it becomes annoying/distracting IMO.  Some people go a bit crazy with that :)

Phil has another screencast which he'll share soon, though I don't think he used zooming.