Discovering a package's tools

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:54 PM

How do folks discover the tools that ship with a package?

For instance, I've just added the xunit package. I want to run my shiny new xUnit tests, and I'm used to using the NUnit GUI runner (yes, this is fantasy). How do I know where to find the xUnit GUI runner? Do I have to go through the file system to launch it?

I could try to launch it form the PM console, but because the working directory is /~, I'm not likely to discover it. If we added the Tools directory to the console's PATH when a package is installed, I could perhaps start typing xunit and tab-to-explore. Or, I could type Tools and tab-to-explore.

That's just an idea, and probably one with lots of problems, but the larger question of discovering tools stands. Do we expect that people will just learn the convention of <solution>/packages/<package>/Tools?

I guess we could also spit out a message when there are tools after Add, something like <package-id> tools have been copied to <tools-dir>.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Um, nevermind. Apparently we do modify the PATH, 'cause typing xunit and tab-to-explore worked beautifully.

Is that enough discoverability? It assumes I have some idea what tools ship with the package (which might not be a bad assumption).

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:37 PM
That and package maintainers will most likely explain things to peeps.
:)
-d

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:57 PM, drewmiller <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Um, nevermind. Apparently we do modify the PATH, 'cause typing xunit and tab-to-explore worked beautifully.

Is that enough discoverability? It assumes I have some idea what tools ship with the package (which might not be a bad assumption).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nupack@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nupack@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I do think we should change the console's working directory to the solution's (or project's) root if we can. Again, taking the xunit case, it's nice to be able to use a relative path to my test .dll. Making the working directory /~ isn't very helpful.

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM
I think having the console default to the solution folder makes sense. I am a big fan of relative pathing in build scripts and other build automation.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:01 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Sep 17, 2010 at 7:21 PM
+1

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:02 PM, drewmiller <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nupack@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nupack@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com