Please do not close items when you fix them

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Hi All,

Please don't close an item when you fix it. Instead, set the status to Fixed. Items should only be closed when they've been verified by someone else, either by the person that opened the item (unless that person is the same person that fixed it) or by a member of the QA team.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Paying respect to benevolent dictator and all, there's an inherit problem with CodePlex. When you look at open items either in advanced view or basic view, it's filtered as "anything not closed". Problem is that "Fixed" to me means "Closed, done, whatever". So trying to look at a list of things you could pick up you look at open items but the drawback of not closing them is that you get extra noise showing fixed items. Closed and Fixed are orthagonal in my world.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Ha ha. Yeah, that’s an annoyance. But you can filter by the Proposed and Active statuses. There’s only two of them that matter in your world.

In my world, Closed means it’s not only fixed, but the fix has been verified. Perhaps your coding skills are such that committing a fix is as good as verified, but I don’t trust that everyone will have such skillz. J