Multiple package sources?

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:47 AM

The NuPack console displays a drop-down list for the package feed, but the Update-PackageSource command replaces the current feed, rather than adding a new one. Can there be more than one package feed in the console? 

If no (and scanning the source, it seems this is the case), we shouldn't use a drop-down list.

If yes, how do you add additional sources. and how do you specify which source to use in the console? Also, if yes, should we rename to Add-PackageSource (and add the complement, Remove-PackageSource)?

Developer
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I think we should use UI for this. The nupack console and nupack dialog can share the same options dialog and that can be the one place to configure stuff. I don't really like the powershell commands but that's just me :).

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:51 AM
Edited Sep 19, 2010 at 6:10 AM
I think we should support multiple feeds in the Console (hence the choice of the drop down). Perhaps this just isn't implemented yet?
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:54 AM
Edited Sep 19, 2010 at 6:10 AM
Agreed. And IIRC, that's the part that isn't implemented yet, but Tim planned to get to it.
In other words, to add multiple packages, you go to Tools | Options | Package Manager (or whatever). And the Package Console and the GUI both read from that list. The shortcut to getting to these settings is to launch the Package Manager GUI and click the Settings button.
If we keep the PS commands around, they should be modifying the same settings.
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Agreed with Fowler.  The story to set the feeds can be just the Tools/Options UI, shared between PS and the dialog.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:02 AM

If we are going to use a GUI for package source management, should we drop Update-PackageSource command altogether? The command won't behave like the GUI, and won't be all that useful.

I think there might be people (like me) who would rather do everything via the command-line, and eschew the GUI, but maybe I'm the only one.

Editor
Sep 14, 2010 at 9:49 AM
Isn't the GUI calling the cmdlets? That's the typical pattern for PS heavy things.

--
Scott Hanselman - Tiny keyboard, tiny email - Sent from some kind of phone

On Sep 14, 2010, at 12:02 AM, "drewmiller" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

If we are going to use a GUI for package source management, should we drop Update-PackageSource command altogether? The command won't behave like the GUI, and won't be all that useful.

I think there might be people (like me) who would rather do everything via the command-line, and eschew the GUI, but maybe I'm the only one.

Developer
Sep 14, 2010 at 9:51 AM

No, the GUI doesn't know anything about powershell. They both use NuPack.Core and NuPack.VisualStudio.

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I need to disagree with you on the gui only config. Having the powershell config is needed. Maybe not in the ctp, but it needs to be easily automatable.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:59 PM
I am not sure how muliple sources should work, but my expectation is that when I add-package is that the system will search all of the registered sources for that package and not make me set the active feed.  Most of the package systems I can think of and use, work this way.  You just register another source and you never have to do additional switching between feeds.

Another concept, it may need a seperate thread, is to have a feed contain a upstream reference. Thinking of this from an enterprise perspective. I would have my developers at Dell point to our corporate feed and we would put our feed together so that it references the asp.net gallery feed and the codeplex feed.  And we can add new feeds to our master enterprise feed rather than forcing all of our developers to add new feeds on every workstation.
Sep 14, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I was about to say it, but Eric beat me to it. Let me say up front that I don't expect this to be in v1.

Sources should be in a priority order. When nupack goes looking for a reference, it starts from the highest priority feed looking to the lowest priority feed. In other words the same package could exist on multiple feeds (even at different versions which is something to take into consideration as well), but nupack will pull from where it first finds the package. If it doesn't find a package on one feed, it just moves up the line to the next feed and so on and so forth until it either finds the package or it comes back saying it couldn't find it.

As a user I should be able to add a switch override to the add reference and tell it a specific feed to pull from when there are version discrepancies so I don't have to go reorder my priorities and again once done. This switch override most likely will only need to be on command line, because if someone is already using the mouse, they are not wanting the speed and power that I want. 

Make sense?

____
Rob
"Be passionate in all you do"

http://devlicio.us/blogs/rob_reynolds
http://ferventcoder.com
http://twitter.com/ferventcoder

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Agree with Eric and Rob on this. I do want to mention some clarity though. I created a thread called "support for mutiple package sources" (http://nupack.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=226549) but really it's about respecting a source location where the package originated from. There's also an issue logged here (http://nupack.codeplex.com/workitem/20) that needs to be implemented. Just wanted to be sure people were not mixing up the two threads and that feature would get dropped as a result. I think having the source location of each package is important, otherwise every developer has to be configured exactly as the orignal packager was to get the right versions of the right packages.

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Yeah, I think we’re all clear on the distinction. J

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Yep, two different things.

I agree that we should allow multiple feeds to be searched at once rather than always requiring a specific one.  And indeed, we definitely won't have that for the initial release, but we'll tackle it later.