psake

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Hi guys,

I'm just adding a new project to the system (NuPack.Test.xUnit) to move all the unit tests over to xunit. In doing this I found running tests to be cumbersome. Here's my cmdline to run my tests:

C:\projects\nu\nupack>packages\xunit.1.6.1\tools\xunit.console.clr4 NuPack.Test.xUnit\bin\Debug\NuPack.Test.xUnit.dll 
xUnit.net console test runner (64-bit .NET 4.0.30319.1)
Copyright (C) 2007-10 Microsoft Corporation.

xunit.dll:     Version 1.6.1.1521
Test assembly: C:\projects\nu\nupack\NuPack.Test.xUnit\bin\Debug\NuPack.Test.xUnit\bin\Debug\NuPack.Test.xUnit.dll

1 total, 0 failed, 0 skipped, took 0.311 seconds

C:\projects\nu\nupack>

So with this fork I'm adding in psake for the build so the cmdline will be this:

C:\projects\nu\nupack\build
Developer
Sep 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I don't think we should do this just yet. Also we'll be sticking with msbuild for our build system. We need to all agree on things like this before changing so all of devs are on board and you don't end up wasting your time :).

How is the command line tool going?

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Fair enough on the psake thing. However I'm pretty sure it's going to be a us vs. theme thing with the MSFT guys voting for msbuild and the OSS guys voting for anything but. Just sayin' ;)

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:10 PM
yeah, +1 for anything other than MSBuild (shudder)
-d

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM, bsimser <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Fair enough on the psake thing. However I'm pretty sure it's going to be a us vs. theme thing with the MSFT guys voting for msbuild and the OSS guys voting for anything but. Just sayin' ;)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nupack@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nupack@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM

+1 to psake. It might be a good learning experience for everyone.

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Whether we use psake or not (I'm an MSFTie that's +1 for psake, incidentally), there's no need for that cumbersome command line to run the tests. I've seen other projects (and I do this for ColorCode) have a 'test' MSBuild target, and have build.bat be smart enough to pass the target when specified (see http://colorcode.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/5749b27db005#build.bat). That way, it's just `build test` to run the tests.

I miss rake.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

It's not really a matter of reducing the command line because yeah, you can do a single build.bat/build.cmd to invoke msbuild. It's the ease of adding in build configurations, doing additional steps like coverage, and stepping away from building in the IDE. I don't use the IDE to build and I learned long ago that it's actually a different compiler it uses. A good example is unit tests. Unit tests run inside the IDE are sometimes run in a different order than those run from the command line. There's just whacky things going on with F5 vs. compile-the-code-and-run-these-instructions and boils down to explicit versus implicit and taking command of your build. In any case, I'll just make psake available for anyone who wants it if you want to pull it out of my fork. You can still continue to carry on with F5 compiles and msbuild if you want. It's non-intrusive.