Project Releases and Issue Tracker Priorities

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Hi All,

I've created a set of hidden placeholder releases which we can use when creating issues to track for which release an issue applies. For example, if you fix an issue, we can assign it to the very next release. However, there may be some features which we plan on fixing for a later release. We can assign it then.

The benefit of this is it's going to make my life way easier when it comes time to create release notes! :) Also, it helps us with planning when we need to figure out which feature should be implemented in which release.

For features that we want to track, but know we're not going to do in v1, please assign them to NuPack vNext.

Also, I'm using the custom Impact field to denote priorities (what we would normally call P0, P1, P2).

• High = MUST FIX. Product's success will be hampered by not having this.
  • Medium = Really should have, but the product will still be a success without it.
  • Low = Nice to have. If we have time, we should do this.

Phil

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Hi All, when you take on an item, please assign it to yourself. When you fix the item, please assign to Drew Miller to verify. Once it's verified, Drew (or his team) will close the item. Thanks! All items that are fixed should have a release associated with them so we know which release the fix will apply to.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Any word on when we (Dru, Rob, Eric and myself) can start doing work on the codebase and issuing pull requests?

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I can add items to the issue tracker, but I can't change anything with the priorities or assigning it to vNext. FYI. :D

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM

No worries. I’ll probably handle that as the PM for the most part. I was thinking I’d hold regular triages at some point and send out the results as a summary so we’re all up to speed on what’s been prioritized.

Still figuring this out as we go along. J

Phil

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Also, we are not assignees. I know - all in due time. Which brings up a point, did you guys get our contributor agreements?

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM

+1 to regular triages. My vote would be to run this as a regular Agile project with monthly or bi-monthly planned releases with a planning session and retrospective afterwards. Whomever is part of the core team contributing at the time would be included if they want. Let Phil handle all the scheduling, what's in, what's out, and basically represent the product owner. Or we can do it in a more Lean or Kanban approach. I'm easy. Just no Scrumifall!

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM

The Orchard team uses AgileZen for their planning. I’ll spend some time looking at how they do it for ideas. They are really happy with it. For now, I’d like to do it all in CodePlex.com so we have one place that lists all our issues and work items.

Phil

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM

We just got Bil's paperwork, which means he can start making pull requests now.  Dru/Rob, we'll probably get yours today or tomorrow.  Eric, I don't recall whether we even got the documents to you/  If not, let me know and I'll send them out.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:07 PM

@davidebb are you sure I can make pull requests now? That means I should be put into the developers group (or can an editor make pull requests). The last word I saw from Scott Hunter was that just because you guys got our paperwork didn't mean we could start contributing. Thanks.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM

That's what Hunter said to me this morning, but I've asking him to reply to this thread and confirm.

Can you try making a dummy pull request so we can see if editors can do that?

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I just sent a sample pull request.

@davidebb  I did not get any paperwork yet.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Ok, so pull requests seem to work fine!  Paperwork sent to you by email.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Dru/Rob, your paperwork is here.

Coordinator
Sep 9, 2010 at 6:19 AM

We were able to push through some of the legal stuff last week. Now that we have received paperwork for Bil/Dru/Rob I've moved all of you into the developer group and you can make pull requests and can start contributing. We are very close to getting this moved into the Codeplex Foundation and when that process starts we will have to freeze things and take a snapshot. You can continue to work during that window but we would not accept anything until after the move happens. I'll try and post more of a schedule later this week.

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Small correction: as we discussed, you'll be able to do everything you need as 'Editors' by submitting pull requests.  But the rest stands as Hunter says it.

Note that the freeze window will apply to us as well, so we're all in the same boat.  This is the last hurdle! :)

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM
Edited Sep 9, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I'm still listed in the editor group, but as @davidebb said, we can still issue pull requests as editors.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:19 PM

As an editor I can't assign tasks to myself either ;(