What is the story with WebMatrix support

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I can see how nupack could be a great addition to the WebMatrix tools as well.  A specific scenerio would be to develop a site in WebMatrix and use NuPack to bring in a MVC Portable Area into the site.  Since webmatrix only uses folders this seems easy enough, instead of adding a reference you drop the assemblies in the bin folder. The config file additions are the same.  Any thoughts or plans on this?

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Isn't WebMatrix a separate executable (which launches VS if you want). I have in installed but I thought it was stand-alone. In that case I suppose you could use the command line version of NuPack but I don't think WebMatrix solutions are the same as VS ones so the Visual Studio integration would have been to pluggable with a WebMatrix integration (MEF anyone?).

I would think WebMatrix might be good (I'm still struggling to find an effective use of WebMatrix in general, see any post by Ayende on WM as a reflection of my own feelings) but for NuPack it might be a V3 feature. WebMatrixHeads just don't think like us and having an OSS logging library is probably the last thing on their mind when building Access 2.0 apps. Interesting idea though so something to keep in mind but IMHO really low in the backlog.

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM

We're not focused on WebMatrix (the tooling) at the moment. But we will have a story for ASP.NET Web Pages (that simple web framework that's part of the WebMatrix family of products). The package manager is hostable in a website, providing a web based interface. Of course, this interface only works with certain types of packages (I wouldn't install NHibernate that way) but works great for fully contained sections of a site like Eric described.

Developer
Sep 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Even though we don't have tight integration with WebMatrix right now, we making sure our design isn't tied to visual studio (hence the 2 assemblies NuPack.Core, NuPack.VisualStudio).

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I guess that is really my biggest concern, being able to run independent of a DTE reference.

Developer
Sep 7, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Absolutely, we aren't tied to DTE in any way. We have a ProjectSystem abstraction, and there is a DTE based one (actually 3) and a FileSystem based one.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Though note that some packages like MvcScaffold will be tied to VS, because they themselves use DTE to do their work.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM
So, does this mean that the nuspec needs a little more detail about its expected execution enviornment?
Sep 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Yes, we've discussed that earlier, we didn't get too far.  It's along the same lines as marking a package for WAP only, for MVC only, etc...