Mercurial and CodePlex

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I have to say I've never used Mercurial on CodePlex before but I thought it would behave something like git on other systems. I created a fork originally and noticed it was updated but when I did a sync it didn't pull in the changes David had committed into my fork? I had to delete my old fork and create a new one. That doesn't seem right to me. Do I have the wrong interpretation of how this works? I'm using TortoiseHg if that makes any difference. Has anyone else who has a fork been able to sync down the changes from master since creating the fork?

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM
After you pulled did you update your working repository to the latest version? You need to issue an Update command to get the latest bits, even id you have pulled it.

Sent from my phone

On Sep 1, 2010, at 8:12 AM, "bsimser" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I have to say I've never used Mercurial on CodePlex before but I thought it would behave something like git on other systems. I created a fork originally and noticed it was updated but when I did a sync it didn't pull in the changes David had committed into my fork? I had to delete my old fork and create a new one. That doesn't seem right to me. Do I have the wrong interpretation of how this works? I'm using TortoiseHg if that makes any difference. Has anyone else who has a fork been able to sync down the changes from master since creating the fork?

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM

I did a sync and thought I did an update but there were no changes available (yet there were two new commits). I'll have to try it again once there's another commit.

Developer
Sep 1, 2010 at 3:39 PM

You need to pull from the main repository url not the fork i.e.:

hg pull https://hg01.codeplex.com/nupack
hg update

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Thanks. Only been working with git for a few months and hg for a few days. It shows.

Developer
Sep 1, 2010 at 4:11 PM

You'll love it :D

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Is mercurial authorization different from codeplex? I get an auth failure using my codeplex user name and password. It wasn't working at first so I changed it but still no dice. I feel like such a newb.

C:\projects\Package Mangement\nufork>hg pull https://hg01.codeplex.com/nupack
pulling from https://hg01.codeplex.com/nupack
searching for changes
http authorization required
realm: hg01.codeplex.com
user: bsimser
password:
abort: authorization failed

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM
Because the project is not published yet.  The editors.. like us cannot clone the main repository.  We can only fork it and clone from there. So, I forked once. And when I want to pull new changes, I create a new fork and than pull those changes from the new fork into my local repository.  Once the project goes public this process goes away, but we are in a state where the authentication is setup in non traditional manner becuase of our project member roles and for the fact the the project is not published.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Ahhh good. Glad I'm not just crazy (well, okay, a little). I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I don't get this.  If you can fork, then you effectively have full readonly access to the code.  What then is the reasoning of not letting you clone the main repo?  Seems crazy to have to re-fork anytime we make a tiny change.

Maybe I should ask CodePlex guys...

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:44 PM
Edited Sep 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I don't know either but I can pull down my own fork but I can't clone the main branch. I get an auth error on that. Eric's suggestion worked.

1. Create a new fork (with latest changes)
  2. Change into my original fork
  3. hg pull newforkurl
  4. hg update

Maybe we need to be in the developers group and not the editors group to clone the main repository?

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I talked with Matthew from codeplex and he said that the main repo is locked down and Editors cannot access that feed since the project is not published. I just had a few small DMs on twitter, so you may want to engage him over email or phone and figure out if there is something that we can work out.  It sounded like only Developers and Coordinators on the project could read while the project is private.

Sep 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Just emailed Matt Hawley.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Basically, the fact that you're even able to fork the tree is 'accidental'.  Just something they didn't have time to fix.

I see two choice:

1. You keep on creating forks every time to want to pull
  2. We make you developers, but you just make sure you don't push to main (you can push to your branch of course).

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Creating the fork is easy enough for me right now.  I am really comforatable with the tools.